As part of School Board Policy JFC-R:
Section 25: Student Dress
Students are expected to dress appropriately for a K-12 educational environment. Any clothing that interferes with or disrupts the educational environment is unacceptable. Clothing with language or images that are vulgar, discriminatory, or obscene, or clothing that promotes illegal or violent conduct, such as the unlawful use of weapons, drugs, alcohol, tobacco, or drug paraphernalia or clothing that contains threats such as gang symbols is prohibited.
Clothing should fit, be neat and clean, and conform to standards of safety, good taste and decency. Clothing that exposes cleavage, private parts, the midriff, or undergarments, or that is otherwise sexually provocative, is prohibited. Examples of prohibited clothing include, but are not limited to: sagging or low-cut pants, low-cut necklines that show cleavage, tube tops, halter tops, backless blouses or blouses with only ties in the back, clothing constructed of see-through materials and head coverings unless required for religious or medical purposes.
Additionally, disciplinary action will be taken against any student taking part in gang-related activities that are disruptive to the school environment, which include the display of any apparel, jewelry, accessory, tattoo, or manner of grooming that, by virtue of its color, arrangement, trademark, or any other attribute, denotes membership in a gang that advocates illegal or disruptive behavior.
Parents of students requiring accommodation for religious beliefs, disabilities, or other good causes should contact the principal.
Students not complying with this policy will be asked to cover the noncomplying clothing, change clothes or go home.
Dress Code Guidelines:
All students must dress in a manner that is appropriate for the learning environment and which does not cause unnecessary distractions. Some clothes that are appropriate for home are not appropriate for school. The following guidelines are established by the Greensville County School Board for student dress in school:
- Shirts worn outside of pants or shorts must be no longer than wrist length or they must be tucked inside of pants at all times.
- All buttoned shirts must be worn buttoned up to the top 2 buttons unless another shirt is worn underneath.
- Basketball jerseys must have another shirt underneath.
- Straps on sleeveless tops should be at least 2 inches in width.
- Shirts must cover the midriff.
- See-through or mesh tops must be worn with a shirt underneath.
- Off the shoulder and tank tops are not allowed.
- Tight, revealing, or low-neck shirts are not allowed.
- All pants are to be at waist level with a belt, if necessary.
- Garments worn under their outer clothing should not be visible (e.g. underwear, boxers, shorts, etc.).
- Bottoms of pants may not completely cover the shoes or drag on the floor.
- Shorts, skirts, and dresses should be no higher than the midpoint between the knee and the tips of fingers resting on the sides of students.
- Skin-tight, revealing clothes are not allowed.
- Writing across the backside (seat) is not allowed.
- Shoestrings must be tied on shoes that have a place for them.
- Shoes with straps must be strapped at all times.
- Flip flops (thin v-type straps), bedroom shoes, and bare feet are not allowed.
- Open-backed shoes that are not securely attached to the feet are not allowed in the elementary schools.
- High heels are not allowed in the elementary schools; heels must not exceed one inch in the middle school; heels must not exceed two inches in the high school.
- No bedroom attire will be allowed.
- All clothes must be worn right-side out.
- Hair must not disrupt the educational process. All grooming shall be done in the restrooms.
- Sunglasses are not allowed to be worn in the school building.
- Bandannas, doo rags, or related headdress will not be allowed on school grounds. Hats and caps are not allowed to be worn in buildings but may be worn outside.
- Garments, jewelry, or accessories that display symbols, mottoes, words, or acronyms that convey crude, vulgar, profane, violent, gang-related, sexually explicit, or suggestive messages are prohibited.